TV in Review: Modern Family, “Baby on Board”
May 24, 2012 2 Comments
Five things I noticed in last night’s “Baby on Board.”
1. Cam and Mitch are still baby-shopping, and I wonder, has that much time passed? Are the creators of Modern Family already worried about not having a cute kid around? Olivia didn’t come onto the scene in order to replace Rudy until season six of The Cosby Show, and Lily stills seems pretty adorable to me.
2. Phil teaches Alex to dance, and it’s as bad as you think it’d be. And no, “bad” no longer means “good.”
3. Alex’s bad boy prom date is gay and doesn’t know it.
So this is still happening in all the high schools? It’s not just something from my youth?
4. Haley plans to move in with Dylan…
…and I think the only one more excited than her is me! I mean, really, tell me you’re not still giggling over this.
At least Luke is helpful at defusing the situation.
LUKE: Are you doing sex?
Almost as calming as Dylan is with Claire and Phil.
DYLAN: Listen, I know that you’re concerned, but I’m designing t-shirts now, and they’re gonna be huge. Also medium and small.
5. After making fun of soap operas from south of the border, Modern Family turns into one. At first, we think the drama surrounds the new Cam-and-Mitchell-baby…
…but then it turns out that Gloria is pregnant. Gloria!
So, “Baby on Board” was an episode that ranged from the trivial to the melodramatic. I liked it and found it to be sort of an enjoyable hodge-podge, not even realizing that it was the season finale until the pregnancy announcement at the end. That’s when I finally caught on that the show is setting up the next season, with Gloria, baby drama, and Haley actually getting accepted to college. I only started watching Modern Family last fall, so this will be my first summer waiting and wondering what is going to happen with the characters. See you in September!
ABC first broadcast Season 3, Episode 24 of Modern Family on May 23, 2012.
Polentical: TV in Review: Modern Family, “Tableau Vivant” (Season 3, Episode 23)