Mel Gibson – 5 Reasons We Should Have Known

Mel Gibson’s anti-Semitic tirade is back in the news, because the cop who reported it is suing his bosses:

Mee, who is Jewish, filed the suit in September 2010, claiming that he was overlooked for six to seven other posts after complaining to his bosses that the Oscar-winning star received preferential treatment from deputies.

He also alleges that his bosses ordered him to remove parts of his report about Gibson’s arrest, “effectively participating in covering up the anti-Semitic posture of Mr Gibson,” said his lawyers.

I’m of the opinion that there must be other cover-ups. Surely the anti-Semitic and anti-woman rants that we know about are not the only ones. In fact, when it comes to his misogyny, all one needed in order to see that Mel Gibson had issues was to examine his movie choices. Why else would he seem to get off on being in so many movies where his wife, girlfriend, or special-someone gets killed, raped, or raped-then-killed?

It’s been a while, but let’s stroll down memory lane, past all the dead bodies, and count some of them up.

1. Mad Max: The Original.
Jessie (Joanne Samuel) can be forgiven for not knowing what happens to women in Mel Gibson movies, as it was only 1979.

2. Lethal Weapon: The Buddy Picture.
In Lethal Weapon (1987), Martin Riggs’ crazed behavior is due to the death of his wife. Wallow! Wallow in it, Mel! The world is out to get you! In the sequel, we will learn that the world was out to get him, and that her death was actually a murder attempt on Riggs.

3. Lethal Weapon II: The Sequel.
Two years later, in Lethal Weapon II, the bad guys target Rigg’s new girl. Darn it, why must all the bad things happen to Mel? The poor man! Oh, and the girl drowns.

4. Hamlet: The Attempt at Art.
Critics wondered why Gibson chose in 1990 to star in a film based on a William Shakespeare play, given that Gibson’s action lacks subtlety, nuance, depth…or am I being too kind? The answer, of course, was that Hamlet had a girlfriend who went crazy and killed herself, which is just the sort of thing to make Gibson feel all good and sorry for himself. Oh, and the girl drowns.

5. Braveheart: The Ultimate Epic.
In 1995, Mel Gibson got to double down. No, not by both directing and starring in the film, but by having his movie wife both raped and killed.

Look, I understand that acting is acting, and I think it’s a good thing to use art in order to explore the darker aspects of life. I just thought there was some sort of weird obsession on Gibson’s part with inflicting suffering on women and then casting himself as the victim. It happened a little too often, and then it spilled out into the open.

What women want?

About these ads

About Matthew
I care about politics, but also enjoy tabloid talk. So what’s a boy to do?

7 Responses to Mel Gibson – 5 Reasons We Should Have Known

1. Linda says:

You need to do a snyopsis of ALL of his movies, not just a chosen few, to make your point. Sounds like you have an axe to grind, Mathew.

• Matthew says:

Thanks for the feedback, Linda. I think you’re right that I would have to examine every single movie if I were arguing that he does this in every single movie. I’m just pointing out that there’s a pattern, including the film that first brought him fame (Mad Max), that first confirmed his blockbuster action status (Lethal Weapon), that first gave him the auteur imprint (Braveheart)…but hey, if that’s not significant to you, that’s fine by me! It was something I spoke about long before his drinking or rages became public, so yeah, I find it interesting, but there’s certainly no need for you or his many other remaining fans to agree.

2. Darren says:

Hmmmm….nice try.
    Since when do movie characters are the same as the real life persona as the actors who portray them…..lets see…so according to you anybody who has ever portrayed a killer, mafia, drug addict, etc. etc. thats who they really are?
    Mel Gibson might have his demons, and who of us hasnt, but you’re way off base

Ever cross your mind that violence sells in the US? Let me spell it for you….the more violent, the more gory…the bigger box office.. Hope this clears it for you.

• Matthew says:

Thanks for stopping by, Darren. And no, I’m not conflating the actor with the character, but noting how some actors choose projects which appeal to their tastes. I wouldn’t say that this is always the case, particularly when it comes to just one film or one role, but sometimes there are patterns, especially if the Hollywood player has enough power to choose their own projects. It’s similar to what you yourself point out, that a violent society such as the U.S. might understandably wind up having violent films. In that regard I think you’re right.

3. Carnegie says:

Hilarious. Might the Gibson lovers be taking this a bit too seriously? Leeaavve Meellllll aalllllooooonnnnnne!

4. Sasha says:

IMDB lists 49 movies for Mel Gibson. 4 out of 49 doesn’t show a pattern – I’m sure we could find another 4 movies with a similar pattern to eachother but very different to this one you pointed out. Your argument doesn’t stay just on this reason alone.

Personally, I’m not particularly a Gibson fan.

• Matthew says:

I agree with you if my argument were that this happens in every of his movies. I’m just noticing that it happens in many of his major films — the ones that made the most money and were certainly the ones that brought him to my attention.

I do list more than 4 of them (numbered to make it easier!) and consider movies like Mad Max and Lethal Weapon a little more important to understanding Gibson’s career than some of the other IMDB listings, like “The Sullivans” (1976 TV series, uncredited) and The Chain Reaction (he played “Bearded Mechanic”). If you find other patterns that recur in five or more of his major films, I’d definitely be interested.

I don’t think this is all there is to Gibson. I understand that you’re not a big fan of his, but I’ve actually enjoyed a lot of his work.